What is giant frame / giant packets（Jumbo Frame）?
Jumbo Frame is a feature that is supported on the NIC and hub; it’s specifically designed for Gigabit Ethernet industry standard, a long packet format. With Jumbo Frame, you can get Gigabit effectiveness of Ethernet network, allowing data transfer effectively of 50%-100%. A Jumbo Frame is anything bigger than 1518 bytes with a max of 9000 bytes and MPU default of 1500 bytes. In other words, the Jumbo Frame packet size is altered, in order to help processor cycles and bandwidth.
Jumbo Frame is to modify packet size, to save number of transmitted packets.
Recommended Jumbo Frame Timing：
- – Only applies to “large”, “long time” transmissions.
- – Database backup
- – HD Audio/Video streaming
- – Video/Image Editing Environment
Do not apply Jumbo Frame？
- – A network environment/small packet coexists or a small number of packets is large, Jumbo Frame will hinder performance.
- – BT/eMule for this type of file transfer, do not apply Jumbo Frame because the source of non-fixed（IP/MAC）and data file has been altered to smaller files.